Don’t ignore the red flags
Let’s face it – we’ve all probably hired an employee, ignoring the red flags because we either want to give the candidate the benefit of the doubt or we are desperate for staff. I know I have done this in years gone by.
Golden considerations when recruiting
Recruiting isn’t an easy process. You’re dealing with humans. What you see on the surface isn’t always what you get once you’ve hired them. And there is no one-size-fits-all process! But we have some golden questions we recommend our clients consider when they are recruiting.
1. Read the fine print in the candidate’s application
- Does the covering letter reference the right role?
- Does it indicate transferable skills appropriate to your role?
- Are there unexplained gaps in the work history?
2. Every encounter with a candidate…
- Is an opportunity to assess their suitability.
- Are they pleasant to talk to on the phone?
- Are they responsive?
- Do they make it easy to book interviews?
3. At the interview
- Are they on time?
- Do they dress appropriately for the role?
- Do they speak well of their employers, or do they bag them?
4. Do the testing
- Do you need a criminal background check, especially if they’re working with vulnerable people, financial matters, or confidential information?
- Can you test the candidate’s skills through a mini workplace assessment?
5. Reference checks are oh so important!
- Have you validated the referee, are they who the candidate has said they are?
- Have you got an in-depth reference check questionnaire?
6. And the job offer …..
- Have you asked yourself one more time… is this candidate the right fit for my business and this role?
- Does the candidate seem suitably happy to be offered the role?
- Do they push back too much on the terms and conditions?
- Do they acknowledge receipt of the formal job offer?
Just by implementing these thought processes and actions, you will be able to make a more informed decision about who you should offer the role to. But don’t dilly-dally – good candidates do not stay on the market long.
And if you would like a hand with your recruitment anytime, give us a call on 07 823 3250 or email [email protected] and we can help.